USDA FoodInfo provides grouped nutrition information for more than 7500 foods and beverages and can be easily extended with custom items. Nutrition data is presented in textual and graphical form and can be accessed by browsing (touch support), search, and via favorites. Top-lists provide information about items with the highest amount of calories, fat, alcohol, or any other ingredient. The data is based on the "USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference" but has been highly optimized for mobile usage.
Additional Food Databases
The lightweight database included in the installation file can be easily extended for free with the following databases which provide all nutrition information:
If you download the zipped database version, then you have to decompress "foodinfousda.db" first. Then overwrite the existing file in "c:\data\foodinfousda.db" or "e:\data\foodinfousda.db" on your phone with the new downloaded database file.
Help and Usage Instructions
The main screen of FoodInfo presents the following options:
- List by Group: Shows foods grouped by 25 categories. Categories can be manually added, edited, and deleted. Further it is possible to add and modify food items.
- Favorites: Food items can be marked as "Favorites" which are then listed here.
- Search: here you can search for food items based on the item name.
- Advanced search: allows to search TOP 100 foods based on one ingredient. E.g. the top 100 foods with most calories, alcohol, etc. per 100 gramms.
- Settings: provides the options "Show footnotes" and "Show piechart". Changing these settings affects the nutrition detail view.
Built-in food groups are:
- Dairy and Egg Products
- Spices and Herbs
- Baby Foods
- Fats and Oils
- Poultry Products
- Soups, Sauces, and Gravies
- Sausages and Luncheon Meats
- Breakfast Cereals
- Fruits and Fruit Juices
- Pork Products
- Vegetables and Vegetable Products
- Nut and Seed Products
- Beef Products
- Finfish and Shellfish Products
- Legumes and Legume Products
- Lamb, Veal, and Game Products
- Baked Products
- Cereal Grains and Pasta
- Fast Foods
- Meals, Entrees, and Sidedishes
- Ethnic Foods
- Restaurant Foods
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I change the food quantity? In USDA FoodInfo all quantities are set to 100g by default. To change the quantity, goto the food's detail view select "Options" - "Quantity". Here you can enter a user defined quantity in gramms. For some items, like for "hamburgers" or "olive oil" there also exist a predefined quantity like "1 hamburger", or "1 teaspoon of oil".
- How can I change the displayed nutrition order? In the food's detail-view goto "Options" - "Nutrition order". When selecting an item (via touch, or OK/Enter key, or "Options" - "Change") a dialog will appear, where the position of the item can be entered (0: top position, 1: second position, ...).
- Does a desktop front end exist for your modified nutrition database? No.