DailyXpenses is a Symbian S60 expense-tracking tool for daily personal usage which helps you to maintain an overview over your expenses.
The following list gives a brief overview over the features:
- Categorize your expenses into logs
- Fully customizable list of categories and grouping of categories
- Fully customizeable assignment of fields (like "total amount", "mileage", "number of items", etc.) to categories
- Multi item amount fields allow you to enter lists of amounts
- Cloning of expense entries to reduce typing
- Take (or import) pictures, like receipts, and assign them to your expenses
- Export to Excel-friendly CSV format and email
- Statistics for daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly expenses
- Mileage support for unlimited number of cars with automatic taking over of car's last mileage value.
- Ful-featured currency calculator with online conversion rate updates
- Multi-user support allows you to assign expenses to different persons
- Fully customizeable list of payment methods (like creditcard, wire transfer, etc.)
This Section presents short tutorial on how to use DailyXpenses. A more detailed description can be found in the "Help and Usage Instructions" Section of this document.
- After installation a location for photo-files is asked. If you plan to take many pictures of receipts, it is recommended to select the flash drive (e:\).
- A log consists of a set of expenses. To add a log, click on "Logs", then "Add new log", enter a name for the log, and select "Save".
- The newly created log will appear in the list. Click on the log (Touch devices: double or long click, other devices: "Ok" key), and then on "Add expense". Select a category (double click or Ok key), fill in the fields, and select "Save". Your newly created expense entry will appear. By double clicking/pressing the Ok key the entry can be viewed and edited.
- Which languages are supported? The userinterface is only available in English. But everything else is fully customizeable, and very easy to adapt to your language preferences.
- What phones are supported? DailyXpenses is compatible with all Nokia S60 phones with Symbian OS 9.1 or newer.
This Section gives detailed instructions on how to use DailyXpenses.
When DailyXpenses is started for the first time, a dialog asking for an installation location is shown. This location will be used for storage of photos of receipts. The location cannot be changed later. The file containing log entries is everytime stored in "c:\data\dxp" due to performance reasons.
All functionality is accessible over the main view:
- Logs: list of logs and expenses added to each log
- Users: management of users
- Categories: list and edit of main categories and child categories
- Currencies: list and edit of all currencies, including exchange rates
- Converter: currency converter
- Payments: list and edit of all payment methods
- Statistics: statistics of daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly expenses
- Settings: general settings like start view, localization, or colors
A log consists of a set of expenses. A log has a name, a description (of up to 255 characters), a currency, and an assigned amount of money. If you add expenses with different currencies to one log, then the sum over all expenses within the log will be converted to the log's currency based on the current exchange rate.
The following options are available under "Options":
- Add/edit/delete log
- Set as default: Sets the selected log as default.
- Change icon: Allows to assign or change an icon to the selected log. Icons can be selected from the photos taken within the log's expenses.
- Remove icon: Removes the selected log's icon (The icon is only removed from the log. It is not deleted from storage)
- Archive: Archives the selected log. This is useful if you have a lot of logs because it improves loading time.
- View/hide archived: View and hide archived logs. By default, archived logs are hidden.
- Export log: Export the selected log. Here, also the fields to be exported can be selected. The exported file can be optionally emailed. Please note, that emailing requires a setup Symbian mail account.
To add expenses to a log press the Ok key (double or long click on touch devices). Here you can modify and add expenses. Expenses can also be moved to other logs and be copied. When adding an expense you are first asked for a category and then you can fill in the categorie's fields. The fields "Name", "User", "Date", "Currency", "Payment method", and "Pictures" are default fields which are shown for each entry. Fields "User", "Multi item amount", "Currency", "Payment method", and "Pictures" can be changed with the Ok key (double or long click for touch devices). When one of these fields is selected, then the current expense entry is automatically saved.
In the "Pictures" view pictures related to the expense, like a receipt, are shown. Within this view, pictures can be imported (the source image is not deleted. Only a copy of the source is created) and new pictures can be taken with the camera application. Both functions need some time to finish (depending on the phone's CPU speed and load, it can take some seconds!).
In the user view users can be edited. Different users are for instance useful, if you pay expenses for other persons. User information includes an username, a description for arbitrary text, and an email address. The email address is used as default email address (but can be changed) when sending logs. So, if you want to email logs to yourself, it is most useful if you assign your email address to the default user. The selected default user will also be used as standard when adding expenses.
Categories are grouped into "main categories". Main categories can be added, edited, and deleted. It is also possible to assign an icon to a category. When a main category is selected (Ok key, or long click on touch devices) the categories view is shown. These categories can also be copied or moved to other main categories.
When a category is selected (with Ok key or long click), or a new category is added, the category-editing mode is started. Each category has only a name by default (which can be edited by clicking on the "Name" entry). Further fields can be added with "Options" - "Add field". The following fields are available:
- Amount: adds an amount field. The values of amount fields are used in statistics and expense summaries. Unlimited number of amount fields are possible for each category.
- Description: A textual description of up to 255 characters. One description field is available for each category.
- Mileage start / mileage end: The value of mileage end from the latest expense is inserted into mileage start when a new expense is added. One mileage start/end field is available for each category.
- Multi item amount: This field allows you to add unlimited number of items, each consisting of an amount and a name. The values of amount fields are used in statistics and expense summaries. One multi item amount field is available for each category.
- Numeric: A numeric field. Unlimited number of fields are possible for each category.
- Text: A text of up to 255 characters. Unlimited number of fields are possible for each category.
A field and its default value can be changed with the Ok key or with a long click.
The currency view shows a list of currencies and their exchange rates with respect to the base currency. Rates can be changed manually, or over the web with "Options" and "Update rates from ECB". Currencies can be removed, edited and added.
Under "Options" - "Set as base" a base currency can be selected. From this currency, the exchange rates are calculated, e.g. the base currency's exchange rate is 1.0. With "Default source" a currency can be set as default source currency for the currency convert. Further, this currency will be set as standard currency for new expenses. A default destination currency for the currency convert can be set with "Default destination".
The currency converter can be used to convert between two currencies. To select a source and destination currency, press the Ok button when the focus is on the "from", respectively "to" field. On touch devices, perform a long click.
In the payment methods view payment methods can be edited. You can select one payment method as default. The default payment method will be automatically selected as standard for new expenses.
The statistic view shows statistics for the current day, week, month, and year.
By default, statistics are generated over all log entries within the given periode. Statistics for specific users, categories, payment methods, and currencies can be generated with the filters provided under "Options".
The following settings are available:
- Group categories: if "yes" then the categories are viewed in groups when adding new expenses.
- Start page: the view which should be shown when DailyXpenses is started.
- Csv export separator: the separator used when logs are exportet. Recommended separators are "," (countries using "." as decimal point) and ";" (countries using "," as decimal point)
- Red/Green/Blue color: here you can select an alternative color for the given color. This is for instance useful if you use a skin which makes some colors unreadable.